Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Easy Huevos Rancheros


This is a protein packed breakfast!  It's easy to make, and actually pretty healthy.  Here's my version.  There's lots out there, but this one is simple; pre-made guacamole and canned black beans get this to your table quickly.

Ingredients:
1 Can of black beans
1 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Guacamole (I used a 100 calorie pack)
Tortillas
Eggs
Shredded cheddar cheese
Salsa
Sour Cream (optional)

1. Empty contents of black bean can into a pan with the cumin, garlic powder, and a bit of salt and pepper.  Bring the liquid to a boil, and keep on high heat until most of the liquid is gone.  Keep on very low heat while you work on the other steps.
2. Char your tortillas by dragging over the stove top.
3. Cook your eggs like you prefer; I did sunnyside up with some butter-like spray.  2 per big person, 1 for the little person (her yolks get cooked through).  I've done scrambled before, and that's just as yummy.
4. While the eggs cook, spread your guac over the tortilla, followed by your black beans, and a spoonful of salsa.
5. Layer the eggs on top of all the other good stuff, and top with cheese & sour cream if you want (and I always do).

My husband always asks how it's supposed to be eaten.  I prefer fork and knife, but he ends up making a burrito.  My toddler loves beans, and enjoyed this dish.  She dropped some, and said, "Uh-oh beans!"

No comments:

Post a Comment